- 1 lb chicken breast (cut into 1’’ cubes)
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp freshly grated garlic
- 3 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 small can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- Naan bread
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
Butter Chicken Recipe
- In a large bowl, add 1 lb chicken breast - cut into 1’’ cubes, ½ cup plain yogurt, 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger, 1 tbsp freshly grated garlic, 2 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp ground turmeric, ½ tsp salt and mix to combine. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes. Marinate overnight for best results.
- Place a large saute pan on medium heat and add in 1 tbsp of the ghee.
- When hot, add in the chicken and saute until it is almost cooked through, or 5-7 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and set aside.
- Add in the remaining ghee and onion and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add in the remaining ginger, salt garlic, garam masala, red chili powder, and ground turmeric and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and once it starts to boil, pour in the heavy cream and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the sauce to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the sauce back into the pan along with the chicken and simmer for 5 minutes to let the chicken finish cooking. Adjust for seasoning.
- Serve over basmati rice, warmed naan bread, and fresh cilantro.